There’s one thing you can be without on Australia Day, and that’s a classic lamington! I use to love a good store bought lamington, only to find that I’d feel so sick afterwards due to the refined sugar and wheat. So, I created this recipe so you can feel like you’re indulging without spiking your blood sugar! The sponge cake is so versatile it’s perfect even before being covered in dark chocolate and coconut!.
+ 1 3/4 of almond meal
+ 1/4 cup of maple syrup
+ 4 large eggs (room temperature, split the eggs into two separate bowls, you’ll need both the yolk and egg whites)
+ 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
+ 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
+ 1 teaspoon of organic vanilla bean paste/extract
+ 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartare
+ 1 block of dark or milk Loving Earth Chocolate
+ 1-2 cups of desiccated coconut to coat your lamingtons
Hi-ya! I’m Amber.
As a qualified Nutritionist (Bachelor in Nutritional Medicine) as well as having 5+ years of working as a Pharmacy Assistant/Dispense Technician I believe in an integrative balanced approach towards health and wellness.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Line a rectangular cake tin with baking paper.
2. Combine the almond meal, maple syrup, egg yolks, bicarbonate of soda, sea salt and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon/spatula. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs whites (or use your hand beater until you get a strong peak or meringue like texture. Add the cream of tartare and continue whisking/mixing until a peak forms. After the peak forms stop beating.
4. Fold through the egg white mixture into your almond meal batter until combined. Place into your baking tray and cook for 25 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven once you have a nice light golden brown colour on top and set aside to completely cool.
6. Once cool cut your sponge cake into your desired lamington size, squares or rectangles- completely up to you!
7. Unwrap and place the block of loving earth chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 40 seconds and stir or until melted. I like to add 1/4 cup of coconut milk and mix it through the chocolate to give it a slightly runnier consistency. In another bowl pour in 2 cups of desiccated coconut.
8. Dip your lamington squares into your bowl of melted Loving Earth Chocolate, then roll in the bowl of coconut and place on a cooling wrack. Continue until you’ve finished coating your lamingtons. Place in a container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, I'd love to see what variations you're creating!
They're are so many fab combos you can make so don't forget to hashtag #thewholesomebody #TWB so I can see your beautiful creations!
See what wholesome eating & living looks like on Instagram @thewholesomebody
The Wholesome Body Copyright © 2018
- Yoga Classes Brisbane -
- Vinyasa Yoga -
- MOVE - NOURISH - GROW -