This Homemade Granola is fueled with protein and good fats which makes it a perfect breakfast option in the morning or even as a small afternoon snack with some greek yoghurt. Most cereal, muesli or granola that you can find in the supermarket can be filled with way too much sugar, sodium and have very little protein or good fats, leaving you hungry and experiencing unstable blood sugar levels which can make it really hard to get through your day.
Some weeks I’m super prepared and on top of all my food preps and other weeks I’m completely winging it each day. I find I operate and function best when I have a little bit of food prepped to begin my week and this generally includes a good granola ready to go as a breakfast option. While I love a good omelette there are the occasional mornings where I can’t be bothered doing the extra dishes.
This granola is my go-to ‘cereal’ option. I’ve managed to fuel my body with fresh produce and cook every meal- which means you won’t usually find me eating anything from a box unless it’s from the health food store!
“The difference between granola and muesli is quite simple. While they both typically contain nuts, fruit, seeds and grains- Granola is baked with oil where as muesli is generally soaked in a liquid/milk and isn’t cooked”.
Cinnamon is a common kitchen spice that is classed as an antioxidant, has anti-inflammatory properties as well as being lipid lowering, antifungal and antimicrobial. Studies demonstrate that cinnamon at 1, 3 or 6grams has the ability to lower blood sugar levels and reduce LDL cholestrol.
Rich in monounsaturated fat (good fat), fibre, magnesium and copper. Studies show that almonds can assist with the reduction of inflammation, oxidative stress and stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Psyllium Husk is a soluble fibre that acts as a bulking agent in the colon to promote the passing of stools which assists in relieving constipation and diarrhoea. It is consider to be of benefit to promote good digestive health.
- + 2 cups of oats
- + 1 tsp of cinnamon
- + 2 tbsp of hemp seeds
- + 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- + 1/2 cup of psyillum husk
- + 1/4 cup of flaxseeds
- + 1 cup of chopped almonds
- + 1/2 cup of peanuts
- + 4 dates (deseeded and finely chopped)
- + 1/2 cup of macadamia oil?
- + good pinch of murray river salt
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- Combine your ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pour your granola onto the tray, making sure it’s evenly spread.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes, remove and give it a good stir then place it back into the oven for another 45 minutes.
- Once golden brown, remove and let cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
See what wholesome eating & living looks like on Instagram @thewholesomebody